Decisions are made by those who show up

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The greatest fictional president the United States has ever had once said, "Decisions are made by those who show up."  Today is your chance to make that decision.  Show up at the polls and VOTE! 

Normally I don't engage in political discussion on my blog or facebook.  Mainly because I view those sites as entertainment for myself, a way to connect with friends and sometimes blow off a little steam.  From my observations of most political discourses on facebook turn into screaming (typing?) battles of "I hate your guy because he lied" or "I hate your guy because he hates (insert group here)"  I will gladly debate my candidate if you can sit down and calmly talk about the issues and why you support your candidate.

If you recognize the quote it's probably fairly obvious who I will be casting my vote for today.  And yes, I have real reasons for supporting the President.

For years politicians have been talking about health care reform.  But President Obama didn't just talk about it.  He said he was going to do it and he did!  The Affordable Care Act removed restrictions regarding pre-existing conditions, made health care more affordable, removed lifetime caps and allows recent college graduates to stay on their parents insurance longer.  How exactly is this a bad thing?

President Obama ended the war in Iraq, just like he said he would.

He believes that women should have access to preventive health care.  And that a women should be allowed to make choices about her own body, not have them be made by the government.

He believes that everyone is equal and he has proven that while in office.  He signed the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act so that women get equal pay for equal work.

He supports education and is making it easier for students to afford a college education.

And despite inheriting one of the worst economic messes since the Great Depression, the President has still added 5.4 million private sector jobs to our economy.  Under President Obama the economy is steadily improving.  Yes it is slow, but the decline didn't happen overnight and neither will the recovery. 

This morning Twitter directed me to a feature through the Washington Post where you can trade in your generic I Voted sticker for a customized one.  It allowed you to chose which candidate you voted for and then state why you voted for him (in 30 characters or less)  Once you have made your button you can view ones that others have made.  I was struck by the reasons listed (on both sides)

  • I am American
  • I am a cardiologist (what in the world does that have to do with your choice of candidate?)
  • Sanity
  • he isn't a Muslim
  • Obama is worthles (yes the spelling is directly from the site) 
  • Romney lies
  • I'm a liberal
  • I'm a conservative
  • Mitt the mutt is clueless
  • he doesn't suck
Really people how are these possible real reasons for you to vote for a particular candidate?  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad everyone is getting out there and casting their vote, but I do wish people took the time to care about who is leading their country and make an informed decision.  Luckily there were people who restored my faith
  • His plans benefit the people
  • Strong leader
  • Health care
  • I believe in his policies
  • Represents my values
  • I believe in his vision
  • I want a better economy
  • We need equal rights
  • His policies help my family
  • Women's rights, environment
  • Income and wealth equality
  • Health care and foreign policy
  • Better vision for the country
Please get out today and exercise your right to vote.  If you are not sure where to go, visit Google's Politics and Elections section.  You can type in your address and it will give you the local polling location. 

Now that you're done reading my one and only political rant, what are you waiting for? Go, go vote!


2 comments:

Calm, Forward, Straight November 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM  

Well said! Right there with you sista!! :D

Anonymous December 21, 2012 at 4:43 AM  

That quote is really inspiring challenging. Some says only tough person makes a good decision. Anyway I love reading your post. Looking forward to hear more about you.