Goodbye 2010

Sunday, January 2, 2011

And we come to the end of yet another year.  2010 has been a year with a lot of ups and downs.  We started off the year as we usually do here in PA, with cold and snow.  But we did manage to get a thaw towards the end of the month and I got some good rides in on both Naughtie and Miss.  I boosted my confidence by sticking on Naughtie through some fun bucks and spooks.  And Miss started jumping again!  I also in January ranted about the ridiculousness of the USEA's Instructor Certification Program.

February brought Snowpocalypse to PA and I didn't do much of anything for a few days.  Pitt actually shut down for three days which is pretty much unheard of.  After we dug ourselves out of the snow, I also dug out the western saddle and began X's stock seat dressage.  February also meant saying goodbye to Maeve and her family as they moved to Chicago.

In March the light bulb clicked!  I learned to keep my hands up and it fixed so many of my position problems when jumping.  A friend came out to take pictures of Kaye and I for her final project.  Cuddles and Buddy went back home to Maryland.  And I had more awesome jumping lessons with Kaye.  I took another look at my goals and then my confidence took a step backwards.  I had a rough week when I found out I didn't get a job, but as usual the ponies helped me feel better.  Kaye and I jumped a helicopter for the first time.  And I got my first photography gig, sort of.

With April came the SUN!  And I started to think about show season.  Kaye and I had a couple of great jumping lessons, and they were caught on video.  I bought new boots, and I got another cortisone shot for my knee.  We got ready for Rolex and I continued to break in my new boots.  April ended with our annual pilgrimage to Kentucky for the Rolex 3 Day Event.

The first South Farm CT kicked off the month of May.  Kaye and I had an awesome experience with our first beginner novice of the year.  And then I headed over to Canfield for the first ICHA show with Tom and Dalal.  My little western pony and I had an awesome first show, winning both the Ladies Western Pleasure and the Open Western Pleasure.  We closed out May with Kezia's wedding and then a second trip to South Farm, where Kaye and I rocked the move up to novice.

June began with yet another trip to South Farm.  Kaye and I ran novice again and we won the dressage and held the lead through jumping!  And then the following weekend it was back to Canfield for the second ICHA show with Dalal, and I went in my first Morgan Halter class with Sally.  After that it was a trip to Randolph, OH for the ISHA Triple Point Show.  Dalal and I had some good classes, and Image made a return to the show ring for Pony Halter.  The following weekend I stayed home and had a good jump school on Kaye and then met up with Tom on Sunday at the WHA Show.

In July we headed over to South Farm, only this time I wasn't riding, just jump judging for the Horse Trial.  I tortured my pony with lunge lessons from Bonnie in the heat, and then cheated on him with Edgar.  LOL  I rode Bugsy again for the first time in a while.  And we even jumped!  I also started riding Twinkie again, who was such a good girl.  Bugsy got to be my model as I practiced braiding.  X and I had some more 'magic' lunge lessons.  I officially introduced my budding photography business, HoofPrints Photography, by shooting a Windhurst Event Team practice where both Tiffany and Rachel jumped 4 feet for the first time.  And then I headed out to shoot at the South Farm Mini Trial.

I didn't blog much in August, but I did have an awesome time at the Catt County Horse Show.  And I had lots of jumping lessons getting ready for the clinic in October.  But all that was overshadowed by the sad news at the end of the month.  Nikki had to say goodbye to Natasha's Image.  We miss you sweet boy.

September began with Jeff and Megan's wedding, which made me miss the MEHA show.  But then the following weekend we headed up to Meadville to the Pink Ribbon Show.  I got a second job at Wal-Mart.  Kaye and I jumped arrowheads for the first time.

In October I started working the register at Wal-Mart, and I took part in the Heart Walk in Beaver.  Ari very sadly lost her new horse, Jade.  Bonnie gave me lots of jumping lessons to prep for the clinic.  And the World Equestrian Games took place in Kentucky.  And then I got to fulfill a dream of mine and I got to ride with BOYD MARTIN!  It was an amazing experience, I learned so much from him and I can't wait to ride with him again next year.

November meant it was time for NaNoWriMo again.  I had a good post-Boyd jumping lesson.  And I went for more testing for my stomach issues.  A blog friend went through a rough time where she almost lost her horse.  I started walking Miss under saddle.  I had a lot to be thankful for at Thanksgiving.  I completed NaNoWriMo and I decided to take up the 31 Day Challenge for December.

So in December there was lots of non-horsey posting.  But you all got to learn lots about my life outside of the ponies. I continued to walk the Moose under saddle and she loved being back in work.  I had a great Christmas.  And I finished out the year with a road trip to Georgia with Blair.

2010 really was a great year in a lot of respects.  Here's to hoping that 2011 will be just as good!